Monday, January 14, 2013

Jumping on the Blog bandwagon


As most of you know, I moved to Dallas in September for a job promotion. Prior to moving here, I lived with my parents for two years, and before that I was a student. So I'll give you a minute to let you guess how much furniture I had to bring with me when I signed my lease for my new grown-up apartment in Dallas.

...

If you guessed zero, you would be wrong. Tricked you. I had two book shelves. :)

Other than that, I had no real furniture. Even the bed that I had for the three years I was in apartments had been given to my younger brother for his apartment. So, I slowly began piecing together all the things that would go into my new apartment. I decided I didn't really want to buy all new things, partly because that costs a lot of money and partly because I enjoy making things.

I bought my couch set and coffee table from a garage sale for $150 and spent about $100 on fabric to reupholster all of it. That was the craziest, most time consuming, most frustrating do it yourself project I've ever done in my life. I'm still not even done because the cushions don't have zippers holding them together, and I've been too lazy to fix that.



A good friend gave me my kitchen table and another book shelf.




My parents gave me a bed frame and mattress set. I made a tree stump end table from a tree stump I got for free from a guy on Craigslist and a tutorial I found on Pinterest.


I've been in my apartment for four months now, and I can confidently say it's more "me" than anywhere I've ever lived, because almost everything in my apartment was either thrifted or made by me. I love being able to walk into stores like West Elm and Anthropologie and not buy anything from them, just get ideas and then go home and make them. I started this blog so that you can join me on my many adventures that start with the simple words, "I bet I could make that." Perhaps I'll inspire you to find some of your own adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment